If you are celebrating a special birthday or wedding anniversary you can receive a personal congratulations from the Prime Minister, Governor-General or The Queen.

You can receive a message from the Prime Minister:

  • On your 50th wedding anniversary and every year after
  • On your 90th birthday and every year after

You can receive a message from the Governor-General:

  • On your 50th wedding anniversary and every year after
  • On your 100th birthday and every year after

You can receive a message from The Queen:

  • On your 60th wedding anniversary and every fifth year after
  • On your 100th birthday and every fifth year after
Further information is available here.

If you did not receive a message from The Queen for your 60th wedding anniversary or 100th birthday you can request one for a subsequent occasion (ie: 61st wedding anniversary or 101st birthday). 

You do not have to wait until your 65th wedding anniversary or 105th birthday. To arrange a congratulatory message, please contact the electorate office on 9459 1411. You will need to provide formal documentation, such as a marriage or birth certificate, to verify the date of the occasion. 

If these documents are not available, you can provide a Statutory Declaration. This documentation will need to be delivered to the electorate office at 37 BurgundyStreet Heidelberg.

You can lodge a request for congratulatory messages up to two months before the celebration. You can also request a belated message up to one month after the birthday or wedding anniversary has passed.

For eligible occasions, requests received within six months after the occasion will be passed to Government House in Canberra for their consideration for a belated message from The Queen. Congratulatory messages can be posted directly to the recipient’s home address or the address of a friend or relative if the message is to be a surprise.

Note: you will need to submit a new request every year. Messages do not get sent automatically.


Local schools, not-for-profit organisations, Australian exchange students and families of war veterans can request flags for presentation or display.

The available flags are the Australian National Flag, the Aboriginal Flag and the Torres Strait Islander Flag in the following sizes:

  • 1,370 mm x 685 mm (indoor flag pole size)
  • 1,830 mm x 915 mm (outdoor flagpole size)

Other sizes may also be available on request. If you would like to request a flag, please contact the electorate office on 03 9459 1411 or send Kate an email to kate.thwaites.mp@aph.gov.au.


It is compulsory by law for all eligible Australian citizens to enrol and vote in federal elections, by-elections and referendums.

If you are 16 or 17 years old you can enrol now so you will be able to vote when you turn 18.

The easiest way to enrol to vote for the first time or to update your address is via the Australian Electoral Commission website.

You are also welcome to visit the electorate office at 37 Burgundy Street, Heidelberg to complete an Enrol to Vote or Update Your Details form.

Further information on enrolling to vote is available here.

IIf you are not sure where you are enrolled to vote, you can check here.


Pensioners and Seniors Kit
This information kit contains helpful information about pension payments and allowances that are available to older Australians and how to access them, including current rates of payment and income and assets test information.

It also includes information on local services and organisations that support older residents.

Pensioners & Seniors Kit January 2020

Pensioners & Seniors Kit June 2020


An ongoing task for every community organisation is to keep informed of grants that are available. Often the greatest hurdle is simply not knowing where to look. Here are some great grants information links that will allow you to undertake ongoing searches for grants programs.

Kate’s office is always happy to assist and support you in the event that you locate a grant that you feel is suited to the work of your organisation. Throughout the year, Kate will also send relevant community groups, schools and clubs an update on major Commonwealth grants programs that are open to application.

For some current grants that are open to application that may be of interest to you, visit the ‘Grants Open’ section of this website here. 

  • GrantConnect: www.grants.gov.au
    GrantConnect provides a centralised portal for all current Commonwealth grant opportunities.
  • Commonwealth Government Services Portal: www.australia.gov.au
    This portal brings together a vast range of information relating to Commonwealth Government and Services, including available grants.
  • Sport Australia: www.sportaus.gov.au/grants_and_funding
    Opportunities for individuals and local sporting organisations to receive grants through Sport Australia to increase participation and excellence in sport – from grass-roots right up to elite level competition.
  • The Funding Centre: www.fundingcentre.com.au
    A great source for not-for-profit community organisations seeking grants and fundraising opportunities. The website tracks active grants opportunities across all levels of Government.
  • Victorian Government Grants Portal: www.vic.gov.au/grants
    A centralised portal for all current Victorian Government grant opportunities.
Scroll to Top